Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two weeks and counting!

Hey people.  Here's what it said in the big ad the gallery my next show is in sent out yesterday:

Our featured artist is metal sculptor, Susan Westley Seeger, a long-time gallery favorite.  This one-woman show will highlight Susan’s innate talent through her free-standing as well as wall sculptures.  Susan will symbolically represent all the artists we are so grateful to for their support and fine   work  throughout our 10 years.


I bolded that last bit.  (Now my stupid computer won't type anything but italics.)  Yesterday I realized I have 2 weeks exactly, from today to get everything finished and delivered.  Two weeks to put out more than I possibly can (which always always happens because the more time I have the higher I raise the bar it seems), and make sure every single piece is imbued with some kind of special mojo--- is "fine."

As usual, things have been coming along, but going frustratingly slow.  This piece, that looks simple (it can actually be really difficult to pull off this delicate "less is more" look), took an entire day.  Actually, a whole day plus a few hours into the next day.


Ditto this one.  (Oh good-- the italics are gone!)  This one really took nearly two, because I didn't get the idea for the round bit on the side until day two, so had to cut it apart and redo that area.  I've been saving this piece of wood for almost a year, afraid to use it on something that wouldn't do it justice.  I'm still on the fence on whether I've showcased it effectively.

I'm still making a bunch of tables, but with two weeks I'm getting into a critical time zone with rust.  I need to get all the tops done by the end of the weekend so they can look aged enough at the opening.

I need to work on some more free standing pieces.  I finished a really cool one the other day.  It's comprised mostly of a super beautiful piece of driftwood I shipped up from Texas.  It doesn't photograph well, but its best features are this---


And this---
 I feel funny about it, because it hasn't involved very much welding.  The wood is definitely *the star* of this piece, and that of course I had nothing to do with.  I made the stand for it, and added the rocks and made the little metal spikes I pounded in.  To me they feel like spectators to some amazing natural feature, like spectators looking over the rim of the Grand Canyon.  But someone could look at it and go, "What?-- It's just a piece of wood with some rocks and little spiky things pounded in... Where's the art?"  I do like it though.  I love looking at it.  I guess I have to trust someone else will too.

This is that veil piece I've been fiddling with for months now.  I finally got so much paint on it it lost the woven look-- but I had to keep layering because the color was off and the rust wasn't coming through how I wanted it to.  I wound-up etching little lines in it both directions with a Dremmel.  This took days and killed my hands, but I like how it looks now.  In another day or two I think I'll be satisfied and add...
...this to the center of it, and fill it with greenish pebbles of broken auto glass.  It will have a really ethereal look once it's hung and lit properly I think.

I have a few of these, which is good because it's another of those images that seems to really resonate with people.  I sold two immediately at my home show and people were arguing over the last one, over who saw it first etc.   

This is one I finished last week too.  The center piece is the top of an old oil drum I've been saving for a long time.  I like it, but it took a few days.  Another of those things I began thinking I'd be able to knock out by lunch time that dragged on and on. 

So far (ugh!  the dumb italics are back and won't go away!)  I've only had one dream where the show opens and it's empty.  But as of last night I began officially spazzing-out, sketching ideas frantically, and this morning woke-up deciding I really need to make a small horse.  I can see how it will look, and I know I do horses well and it will be cool, but I need to finish it, if not today, early tomorrow.  They usually don't go that fast.  Fingers crossed. 


I may start working some longer hours, but I'm not sure my hands can take it.  also, all work and no play makes Sue... kind of a bitchy psycho actually.  :)  

Wish me luck everyone!  I really feel a lot of pressure right now.  What do you guys think about the driftwood piece?  I know I didn't show you the whole thing, but I mean the concept of it, from how I described it?  Should I be worried?

11 comments:

irishk said...

Sue, I have sat here for a few minutes reviewing all your pieces in awe. I am stunned. You are so talented. Never doubt that. It should bring you to your knees in that 'count-your-blessings' kind of way. You have a gift. You don't learn beauty like this ~ you feel it. There is not a piece that you showed that isn't absolutely inspired. It is difficult to get a scale of the driftwood piece, but it is so amazing. Yes yes yes ~ it takes an 'artist' to enhance the beauty of it's original state. You did it with absolute integrity to the driftwood. The notion of the metal spikes being spectators is so cool. You'll have to speak of the process as people view the piece; I feel it adds to the essence of the art to know what the artist was feeling when it was created. Even if I ultimately 'see' something different, I like to know what they saw. It must be nerve wracking to have this deadline, but you seem to work well under pressure. I'll be at the show as will all your fans. What an honor to "symbolically represent all the artists!" That could mess with your head, but Sue don't forget to really enjoy this. So few people get to this place where you are. Own it sista! Kathleen

Kyia said...

I like your village (row of homes), it reminds me of the tall row homes on the Iron Range...kinda ironic; steel...

Jill said...

I love that driftwood piece in the second picture! Of course, everything is beautiful! You are going to knock it out of the park at your show.

pseudosu said...

Kathleen-- Thanks so much! You're such a great supporter. Also, it makes the opening seem more fun knowing a few friends will come and keep me company for a while. :)

Kyia-
Yeah. A friend grew up in one up there that had all steel doors, cupboards, everything. So weird! :)

Jill--
Awe-- thanks man! I'm so glad you like the second one. I was worried it would maybe be an orphan piece. maybe not! If you like it and I do, someone else will too I bet. :)

b_elliott said...

I can't say it any better than irishk. Your work is beautiful and the driftwood piece is so unique. Only you could have given it to us from your creative artists perspective. It's gorgeous!

strugglingwriter said...

Good luck!

Linda G. said...

I've been trying to figure out why I love your art so much. I thinks it's because, to me, it feels so organic...primal...of the earth, somehow. Like if the world just randomly sprouted Art (with a capital A), it would be like yours. :)

pedro said...

hey sue--hang in there. the work is fantastic. i totally get the pressure of having to finish pieces but also wanting them to be done right. looking forward to the show!

pete

pseudosu said...

Beth--
Coming from you it means a lot-- so glad you're back creating. Everyone should check out her link under cool kids!

Struggling-
Thanks for your constant support. :)

Linda-
That's about the best compliment I can think of. Thanks so much! :)

Pete-
Thanks man! (Pete's art is under cool kids too-- "spark hut"-- check it out.) It sounds like you might make the opening? That would be cool! :)

Maery Rose said...

Sue, your work is always... I don't know what the right word is. Moving sounds kind of dumb, but it strikes deep to the core, probably because of all the natural elements you put together. I always love the trees, both the real chunks and the ones you make from metal. I'm looking forward to coming to the show. Take care of yourself while you madly work!

courtney said...

I have no doubt it will all come together for the show and wow everyone. Everything here is AMAZING. Mad skills, woman. You gots 'em.