Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Friday, April 1, 2011

"If you like it then you should'a put a bird on it"

Hey people.  "Whu-oh-oh..."  It's load-in day.  I have a BUNCH of stuff to finish, am super tired, and my hands are killing, but here's what I've been up to.

I invented a new necklace, but need help coming up with a cooler name than "5-way necklace", so--- get thinking.  I've seen similar things, but mine is unique because of the placement of the beads, and the central pendant was a bit of a trick to make too.  Also the feathery "tails" aren't constantly slipping all over because they're held securely behind your neck by one of the beads.  One necklace, that's a totally new design, that can be worn 5 ways!




When the feathers are in back they can be worn long or tied up higher in a bow.




 One of the coolest things about this, that doesn't translate in the pics is there is a lot of movement as the feathers trail your movements that looks really cool.  I like it.  It was pretty labor-intensive so this one will be $45, but I'm hoping people see the value.

And of course I have the bunches of bracelets I've made.

 I also will have a bit of metalwork, only a bit though.  The one design I was happy with (It's very unusual for me to swing and miss on several designs as I did with this show, but the law of averages was bound to catch up sooner or later.  Also I've been hampered by the extended winter weather.)

Here are the birds, which began as sketches, and are each hand drawn and cut-- for the branches below.

They'll look really nice massed how I plan on displaying them, and are each unique, and I'm happy with them even if it is only one design.  It's more important to me to have something I can hold my head up over than numerous sub-par pieces.

Sheesh this is long.  Here are some of the feather earrings you'll be seeing on everyone pretty soon.  Mine, I can confidently say, are WAY cooler than any I've seen around the web so far.  They look super cool floating around in your hair as you move.  Pretty.

And I also have feather hair clips that can be worn numerous ways.



All this feather work is a bit of a test marketing thing for me.  They haven't been simple to work with because each feather has to be hand-trimmed, and clamping them together in the findings is a bit tricky too.  They want to twist around on you.  But I love the colors, which these pics really don't do justice.

Anyway, today I have some bike gear bracelets to finish up, feather barrettes to make if I have time (doubtful), and a bunch of pre-show prep stuff to finish up, signing etc.  If you are bored tomorrow, come say hi.  I'll be wearing the ridiculous ruffle boots so will be looking pretty fancy for me.  :)

4 comments:

Linda G. said...

Ooh, I love a necklace with back interest! Why shouldn't the people behind have something nice to look at, too?

Hmmm. I like the 5-way. How about "Feathered 5-Way"? Just leave off the "necklace." Or does that sound too kinky? ;)

irishk said...

How about "Tied and Feathered?" with the obvious reference to 'tarred and feathered'? Everything looks really great Sue! It must be energizing to work on something a little different than usual. Your birds are wonderful too. I'm so anxious to see it all in person. Hang in there, the end is in sight:-)

pseudosu said...

Linda-- LOL! I actually thought of that when I titled the photos, wondering what pervs would be googling "5-way" and come across my blog!

Kathleen--
Next week-- Marshall's outing. ;)

Maery Rose said...

Can't wait to see it all in person. I better get moving here. Hopefully, that spring weather is right around the corner.