Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Thursday, January 26, 2012

I invented crack you guys (relax, they're cookies). :)

Hey people. I've spent some time lately going through old pictures trying to organize a portfolio submission.  It's been kind of fun reminiscing, and kind of weird when I run into pictures of me from about 15 years ago when I was really overweight and struggling quite a bit to figure my life out.  I don't even look like the same person, and in many ways I'm not.

I smiled finding this pic again though, one of my favs because Katie looks so happy.  There was one that really made me laugh, of us in bikinis where I am pretending to be a robot attacking her, but there was no way I was going to post that one.  You're welcome, America.

Trusty Pam and I got out the snowshoes this week-- overkill for sure.  There was probably a whole 2" of snow, but it was fun marking the trail with our tracks and just being out in the snowy woods.  One of the things that changed my life for the better more than anything else, was learning how important it is for me to MOVE almost every day, and be outside a little every day.  Pals, of course, make everything better and more fun too.

So you are probably wondering about the crack.  Yep, people may have thought they were onto something before as far as addictive substances go, but seriously--- these cookies...  I dare you to resist them.

Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.  Chocolaty, with hints of cinnamon, and a little bite of cayenne too.  The ones above have walnuts, they came out thicker and chewier.  The flat ones below have cinnamon chips.  Both were way way too good.  And they're gluten free.

 They are mostly egg whites, with some cocoa powder, and lots of powdered sugar, and few other other things.  No butter/oil, and no flour.  The key is beating the living HECK out of the batter.  If anyone wants I'll put the recipe in the comments.

This is something I invented a few years ago.  I used to call it pesto, but it isn't really.  I like it better, so am now calling it *besto*.  It's basil, olive oil, salt, lots of garlic, lemon juice, and Parmesan.  Whip it all together in the food processor.
 
It is super good spread on crusty grainy bread.

I'm working on things in my shop these days, just whatever right now-- side projects, and whatever I feel like making.  I opted out of the spring 50 on 50th show, so have nothing for sure scheduled until Nov.  I'm going to try to make more big things, and just be always making something.  I'm trying to be more consistent about delivering work to the galleries I work with; get into more of a *regular* pace of working rather than going into overdrive for a show and trashing what's left of my hands.

This pic is small and low-rez, but is a horse I have in mind after watching a dressage performance.  The horse was sort of dancing, doing a kind of bouncy trot with very little forward motion.  He was kind of hopping foot to foot, diagonal feet in perfect sync.  I'd like to capture that motion, but of a young, not perfectly polished horse, maybe one doing it, but fooling around just a little bit too.  We'll see.

I love that I can wake up in the morning, a little before I have to get up, and not be able to get back to sleep because some art idea has taken over my brain.  I've been thinking a lot about what I love about my life this week.  I feel pretty dang lucky in many many ways.  I've been fooling around with a bunch of old water heaters I have that have blue enamel baked onto one side of the steel too.  I'm getting some cool ideas of how to use them.  They've been sitting behind my shop for 3 years, and I finally am getting ideas for them.  Could turn out really really cool.  :)

5 comments:

Karen said...

The cookies look amazing - recipe please =)

pseudosu said...

Okay Karen, (and everyone else) here you go:
6 C powdered sugar
1/2 C (min) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 - 4 T cinnamon (to taste)
1 t salt
Mix the above ingredients
While mixing on low, slowly add:
the whites of 6 lg eggs (or 2 egg beaters containers)
2 T vanilla
Turn the mixer up to high and beat for about 10 minutes (nope, not a typo). You have to beat until the batter can form soft peaks. It will be more like cake batter than cookie dough.
Carefully fold in roasted and cooled walnuts for thicker chewier cookies, or cinnamon or choc chips for the flatter but also good version. You can get creative here.

These expand like crazy in the oven so only put 6 on a whole baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes depending on size.

Welcome to your new obsession. mwa hahahahahaaaaaaaa

Linda G. said...

Gawd, just looking at those cookies is making drool all over my keyboard.

Maery Rose said...

I went cross country skiing on Saturday. It was glide, scritch on grass clump, glide glide glide, scritch and so on but at least I got one ski in.

I get overrun with ideas in the AM and around this time of night where it's hard to make myself go to bed.

But I must!

Lynn Fisher said...

I'm going to try both those recipes (without the cheese)...the cookies especiallly...maybe for the superbowl! Thanks...and best of luck on the ideas!