Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Friday, May 18, 2012

The *lovely* day

Hey people.  My day started off pretty dang nice.  This lady stopped me outside Target and said, "Excuse me, I just had to tell you, you look so lovely, with your pretty scarf and all the bracelets and everything.  You really look nice."  I could hardly believe it!  It was funny because just before I left I thought, "Oh what the hell.  I have this scarf and it takes two seconds to whip it on.  Might as well."

It was funny too, because last night Dan and I were watching TV and there was some drop dead gorgeous woman on, and I said, "I wish I was pretty."  He goes, "You are!" (28 years of being in a relationship is not lost on this guy)  I said, "Well, I'm glad you think so, but it would be fun to be really pretty.  But then again people would probably stop me in the street all the time etc, and it would be hard to get anything done!"  (This, of course, was sarcasm.  I'm sure-- can you imagine???)  LOL.

Anyway, this lady was pretty cool to risk approaching a total stranger just to brighten my day a little.  I'm going to remember that for a while and try to pass on the niceness vibe.

Art-wise I've been bizzzzeh people.  Every single thing I've done this week has taken at least 3 times longer than I thought it would.  Exhibit A-- deer legs.  They look pretty good here, and I went to bed feeling like ~the king of deer legs~ (said in echo-y announcer voice).  But alas, the next day I realized the hooves were too small for the scale of the entire animal, and those hocks--- too horsey!





Thank God for google image search.  I took a little deer foot anatomy lesson and at least figured out what went wrong.  I had to remake the two that had taken me about a day and a half to figure out, and make 2 more.  I'm STILL putting the finishing touches on, and it's the end of the week! 




But, it'll be worth it.  The feet of an animal or bird are an important detail.  You get that right, everything builds from there and comes out WAY better.  I'm expecting framing in the body to go super fast this weekend.  The head will be like the feet-- a detail that will take some finessing, but getting it right will make all the difference.

The project I'm working on has to be kept a bit secret until I present it to the potential client.  Once I do I can spill all the beans, but until then you just get snippets.  Suffice to say, this project is taking me farther out of my art box than I have ever been.  Well, scratch that, having to learn stained glass was probably farther out, but still, lots of new territory.




I work off sketches.  I like to do multiple poses while I decide what I'm going to make.  I like a lot of movement and *life* in my pieces.  For this I needed some more static, juvenile images too, that are instantly recognizable.




These will be massed together in sort of a puzzle-piece collage.  That's about all I can tell you for now.  (Can you tell how old-school I am?  Pencil & paper; cutting pieces out and moving them around, etc etc?)

But this job is thrusting me into the 21st century.  If I get this job I'll need almost a thousand of these cut out of metal.  There is no way I could do that by hand, so I'm working with a fab shop (laser cutting).  The thing is-- those guys don't speak pencil sketch.  They're cad guys.  So I had to figure out if I could convert illustrator files to cad (yep-- but it took me about 3 hours to figure this out), then redraw my images on the computer.  I think I've told you this is WAY different than normal drawing.

The hand drawn batch took me about an hour max.  To get the same images drawn in illustrator took me 5 hours.  5!  This is because-- yes-- I'm still learning the program, but still-- urgggg.  Sooo slooow.
After this week my hands, eyes, and brain were fried, and I still have to weld my butt off for the next 4 straight days to meet a deadline.

After calling it a day-- I needed a restoration break-- to the woods!  It was kind of gross and hot, but I enjoyed just hiking around a little and prepping some stuff for our Mon night work session.  It put some air back in my tires just being over there.  Ahhhh. 

I rode my bike up and down the road just to get me to my spot to hike.  I've been spending a lot of time on the bike.  I've been taking newbies out on the trail-- girls who've wanted to try it out, but wanted a one on one beginner lesson, and leading some group rides *just for chicks*.  I've even hit it by myself a few times, just to get a lap in where I can go whatever speed I want without having to wait for people.

I'm learning some new stuff about riding.  I've always ridden back a bit, feeling that was the safest position to be in, and used my brakes, feathering them going into turns etc.  I've been reading tips about weighting the front wheel more in a turn.  That knee thing I noticed before-- I think that may have more to do with this, although pointing your knee where you want to go seems to help.

I even read about riders who actually take their inside foot off the pedal on a turn, and hang their leg forward w/o touching the ground to help their bike corner better.  Lots don't do this, because their feet are clipped in, but I'm guessing they are able to shift a hip forward or something to kind of get a similar effect.  Anyway, now when I've been going into turns I'm thinking way more-- Shift a hip?  Hang a leg?  Feather the break?  Analysis paralysis has bitten me in the butt a few times and I've found myself having to grab the brake and skid to avoid trees etc.

As predicted, I will always always have more to learn about this and challenge myself with.  I love it, and hope I am able keep forming a tribe I can ride with, expanding it.

1 comment:

Lynn Fisher said...

Wow...love the lady at Target...that was so nice to say what is TRUE! You cutie pie you : )