Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Commissions; Same difference? (Not really)

Hey Everyone. 
This week it's all about commissions.  Someone asked what the difference is between working on a commission v.s. a *regular* piece of art, so I did a new video on that.  In the vid I talk about how sometimes the commission process has forced me to push my boundaries art-wise.  Here are some examples you'll only find here on the blog.

When HCMC hired me to create a piece for their 8th street entrance, the space (inside a revolving glass door) was challenging, and so were their parameters; something with a ~healing vibe~, no human forms, something cross cultural, preferably abstract.  I came up with several 3D shapes and this was selected.

But to make the most of the space I knew I needed to incorporate color and make use of the natural light.  This meant teaching myself stained glass and creating a number of panels to fit within the steel sculpture.  A cool result of being pushed a new direction.

This piece for a client had me learning about the use of negative space in Asian artwork, along with a blacksmithing technique to create the joints of the bamboo.  I had to figure out a way to mount the piece on the client's home that would protect their siding too.  A handy thing to know now.

This piece, for the same clients, came out really nice I thought, but they pointed out (and rightly so) that real birch trees have darker spots on the bark too...

I was very nervous about trying this, but decided to try singeing the painted steel.  It came out awesome and they loved the result.

Working directly for a client does have a different ~feel~ than free-wheeling it, and in the video I explain a bit more about that, as well as some other differences.


You can click the button on the lower right to make it big, or click youtube to watch on youtube in a slightly bigger format.  Thanks-- keep the questions coming.  :)

2 comments:

Brianne Pitt said...

Wow, those birch trees turned out amazing!

Maery Rose said...

Love reading about this process and how not knowing something means learning something not that you can't do something. You know what I mean...