Who is Sue and what is Suelandia?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Being objective- or subjective, or...

Hi Everyone.  In this week's video I talk about listening to an interview that sparked my thoughts about the objective v.s. the subjective perspective in artwork.  Here is that radio program, in case you'd like to check it out.  The music is really good too.

In the interview the work of the late Belgian pop artist Evalyne Axell is discussed.  Here is a pic of the album cover they're talking about.



I looked it up after I shot my video, and I have to admit, now that I see it I'm kind of like, "Hmm, maybe I don't get what the hell they're talking about with this objective/subjective stuff..."  Although, I suppose the woman is licking the cone, not being licked BY the cone.  So I guess in this example the cone is being objectified.  Lol.  

Did this objective/subjective thing make sense to you guys?

As for the deal about "getting back to being the real me"-- whatever the heck that means, here is a scatter-shot attempt to explain it:

I've been feeling restless, like a pattern needs to be broken somehow.  I'm not sure if this is just because of being tired of winter or what.  It's just a feeling I have at times and am very driven to act upon.

~The real me~ is basically a giant mass of contradictions that cannot simultaneously exist, but all insist on being represented somehow.  Yikes.  I know.  An example I suppose is how it feels very authentic to me to crave adventure, yet be very afraid of physical harm.  Feeling very confident and like people who don't like it can kiss my ass, and yet be very resistant to hurting anyone's feelings, and being very easily hurt myself at times too.  It's a jumble.

Here's the video:
 
Are you guys like this?  One place it seems I can always go and feel rooted-- feel a pool of calm opening inside me, is the woods.  I also feel this on rivers, and usually on my bike.  How about you guys?  Any sweet spots?   

2 comments:

Maery Rose said...

I wonder if it is partially the way this winter has boxed us inside more than usual -- lots of thinking going on. I'm pretty much the same as far as the places I feel most myself - the woods, rivers, skiing, biking, walking the dogs, horseback riding - outdoorsy stuff. And in the creative stuff - photography and writing.

I try to think of the time I'm at my job as not real. It's where I'm not really me so it doesn't matter what happens there. I'm like Persephone, and live for the time I get to surface from the underworld and be me, whoever that is. It's an ever changing project.

It gets tricky too with how honest can you be online. Who wants to hear about how depressed I am? That doesn't exactly attract readers and isn't how I want to be seen. But it is the reality, but not all of the reality. I hope Spring brings less struggle, more harmony.

pseudosu said...

I know exactly what you mean Maery-- about how much to show. There are some things we go through that feel too personal, yet I really think it's important for me to keep it real on some level. I think people who check out my blog are looking for insight into my art, but also me as a real person. The real person I am can bit a bit of a mess sometimes. Hopefully it's not TMI.

You also hit on one reason no matter how much of a jumble my "being the real me" thing is, I still feel lucky, because I know many people aren't really sure how to find that, or their lives don't allow them to be in that space very often. Here's to surfacing!!